Chrsitmas on a Budget Series: Check out these easy Christmas craft ideas for kids! Super cute hand and footprint Christmas cards and ornaments.
The holidays are approaching, the stress of the economic climate is still affecting us. Some families are still losing their homes, people are still losing their jobs, and some have been out of work for awhile. The stress is building so this means celebrating is all the more important. Gifts don’t have to mean stress or money, they can be more about being thoughtful and having fun. We are going to bring you many homemade gift ideas that are big on heart and low on investment.
What makes a better reindeer than your own child’s hand or foot print? Especially if you have a younger child this idea will work perfectly. You not only get a cute craft, but you get the memory of your little one’s handprints and footprint.
Brown Non-toxic acrylic paint – found at any local craftstore
Card stock paper
Non – toxic Glue
Red, black or pink small pom poms for the nose. The color is up to you.
*For the ornaments, you’ll need colored pipe cleaners and other embellishments.
- Put down some newspaper in the work area. If you have a very small child, you might consider putting them in their high chair. It will eliminate the number of little prints all over the house.
- Paint your child’s foot with the brown paint.
- Place it on a piece of paper or cardboard, you might have to put the paper on the little one’s foot. If you do a small rolling of the foot from side to side and front to back you will get a complete print.
- Set the print aside to dry for at least an hour.
- Once the footprint is dry, place it heel up and put a red nose and some eyes on it.
- Now paint your child’s hands brown.
- Using the same method you did for getting the foot print – Place their hands at the top of the reindeer head to make the antlers. If you are a little nervous about getting the antlers in the right place, you can print their hands on a separate piece of paper. Once they are dry, cut them all out and place the handprints at the top of the reindeer.
- Add a bow and any other adornments and your reindeer is ready.
To make the reindeer hand print ornaments:
Use a thick brown card stock, or simply paint some white card stock with brown paint. Trace your child’s hand print, and cut out. Make 2 holes, one at the top to tie the ribbon, and another just above the thumb to tie on the antlers (pipe cleaners). Decorate as you’d like and have fun!
Check out these 8 amazing Holiday gingerbread houses, such detail!
Tags: christmas crafts, reindeer crafts, christmas for kids, christmas crafts for kids, christmas projects for kids, simple christmas crafts