Guess what I’ve been dreaming of? A vacation in paradise? You guessed right!
The Caribbean is my go-to tropical destination, it’s not too far and the whole atmosphere is simply beautiful. I have been to the Bahamas once, back in my college days, and it was awesome. We stayed at the Atlantis Resort on Paradise Island, everything was wonderful!
There is so much to do at the Atlantis Resort, you can literally stay on the resort during your entire vacation and have plenty to do. Now that I have a family of my own, I know my kids would have such an amazing time here! This full service resort features multiple accommodation options, stay in a budget friendly room in the Coral Towers or go all out with a luxury suite at The Reef Atlantis. There are 6 different towers on the property, so families have quite a bit of rooms to choose from. There are also various dining options, fun attractions, water activities, nightlife and so much more.
Here’s what you can expect when you take a family vacation to the Bahamas at Atlantis Resort…
Water Play – There are plenty of water play options to choose from, so get ready to have some fun in the sun! Aquaventure, Atlantis’ own water park, features 11 swimming pools, plenty of water slides, Splashers kids water play fort, river rides and even rock climbing. It’s 141-acre waterscape is decorated with a tropical theme in mind and is absolutely free for all Atlantis guests! You’ll easily spend an entire day here. There are also other water adventures outside of the water park, which include snorkeling, scuba diving, shark adventures, a stingray experience, paddle boating and even swimming with dolphins at Dolphin Cay! The white sand beaches are amazing, too.
Dining - We all gotta eat! Atlantis has plenty of restaurants covering every type of cuisine. There are fine dining and casual dining options, but the restaurants can get quite pricey. I would suggest visiting one of the cafes and quick eats spots for the majority of your meals, choose from Quiznos, Johnny Rockets, Marina Pizzeria, Ben and Jerry’s, Starbucks, and more. They also have dining plans that could keep you on track with your budget, a flat daily rate feeds your family and kids 6 and under eat for free.
Marine Life Attractions – In addition to swimming with dolphins and sea lions at Dolphin Cay, there are plenty of marine habitats to admire. A host of lagoons feature plenty of sea life, you’ll see tropical fish, sharks, barracudas, rays, sawfish, sea turtles and giant grouper. There are feeding times available for the turtles, rays and other fish. The Dig, a sunken area of the lost city of Atlantis, is a place where you can see stunning underwater exhibits through the lost continent.
General Resort Activities – You’ll get to choose what activities to enjoy each day. Atlantis has a full service spa, tennis courts, an arcade room, a movie theater, fitness center, golf course, yacht and fishing charters, comedy nights, concerts at Atlantis Live and plenty of shopping.
Just for Kids – Kids have it pretty good at Atlantis, they’ve got a whole set of activities made just for them! From toddlers to teens and in between, they’ll be able to hang out at the Atlantis Kids Adventure kids club (a drop off facility, ages 3 – 12), and participate in tons of programs catering to their age group. Participate in imaginative games and activities, arts and crafts, culinary activities, pottery classes, and take advantage of the theater, the computer room, Gamers Reef, Atlantis Speedway, and even CRUSH, a nightclub for teens. Kids can choose their own adventure!
The Cove Atlantis – This little playground is for the adults. It is the most luxury of the towers and has more than just rooms and suites. You can enjoy a night out at the casino, or dance the night away at Aura Nightclub. There are also restaurants, bars and lounges to hang out in. Entertainment is key here!
All of this is making me plan our trip in my head! Can we go NOW?!
Atlantis Resort on a budget tips:
- Book your vacation in the off season, which runs from the summer months through early December. Flights and hotel costs will be much cheaper around this time, but it overlaps with hurricane season.
- Book a special package, they have lower room rates per night and sometimes they offer resort credits. Also, aim for the Beach Tower, which has the least frills and view, but is the cheapest.
- Consider staying at the Comfort Suites on Paradise Island, it is within walking distance of the Atlantis Resort. You will get full access to the Atlantis Resort’s facilities and attractions, kids stay and eat for free with adults (2 max), and offers free breakfast and wi-fi. I have never stayed here, and there is nothing like staying at Atlantis, but it is a budget friendly option.
- Food at the resort is expensive. As suggested before, eat at the cafes and smaller quick eats locations. I remember the food served at the pools to not be too expensive in comparison to the restaurants. You can also leave the resort for more affordable food options, or stop at a convenience store on your way in and stock up with water and non-perishables. You could even check an additional bag and pack it with pre-packaged food items and canned goods from home.
- Stay away from the casino. Because you’ll definitely lose more that you’ll win!
Have you ever been to the Atlantis Resort on Paradise Island, Bahamas?
*All photos property of Atlantis Resort.